Thursday, April 16, 2009

Touchpoint Mapping

I'm a firm believer in a brand communicating consistently across every single touchpoint it has with a potential consumer. It's not a "new" concept per se but the idea of "touchpoint mapping" is catching on. I designed a touchpoint mapping tool which I use a lot in my work - I believe it's critically important especially in store which is an area that traditionally gets over looked in the "brand/ idea" conversation.

As such, I was impressed to read a recent Marketing Magazine (online) article ("Keeping it consistently constant – The KICC Principle" by Ant Hampel) that flagged the importance of a consistent and on-brand POS experience. One of my favourite parts:

Go and experience your brand from point of sale.

One of the most important places where customers get to experience your brand is at the point of sale.

If I went to buy a new Mercedes I would expect a luxury buying experience. I would expect that the sales staff would be immaculately dressed and presented. That is what I am led to believe from their marketing. If they were not it would effect my perception of the brand and effect my brand loyalty.

Put yourself in a customer’s shoes, what level of service have you led your customer to expect at the point of sale.

A brand that does this really well is T2. Everything about their in-store experience is completely on-brand . . .right down to the way the product gets sampled, served, wrapped, packed. It's a completely "smashproof" brand experience that drives engagement, talkability and sales.

Emotionally enaging, on-brand experiences will get your customers returning for more.