Friday, April 17, 2009

Made in Japan


Incase you haven't caught on....Uniqlo....I love you.
..Simplicity, innovation, individual expression at its best. I still remember picking out my tshirt from Uniqlo in New York....there was this massive display of totally individualised tshirts designed by a host of different artists. Choosing one truly did feel special. Never has a tshirt felt so unique (to me at least). I love that I have a story to go with my shirt. People still ask about it.
The brand again got brought to my attention tonight in a fabulous article I was reading (written by the highly talented Chauncey Zalkin for Brand Channel).

Having worked previously on Japanese brand (Pigeon) I completely identify with all she writes about....particularly the following quotes extracted from the article:

"China might be the quickest in turnaround, but Japan is still the most meticulous"

"Products that exhibit the human touch and an understanding of the environment are what consumers - and society - demand now."

Source: Made In Japan: The Culture Behind the Brand, Chauncey Zalkin, http://www.brandchannel.com/


Chauncey also made some really interesting insights and connections between Japanese culture and their innovative, forward thinking work on developing environmentally friendly products.

Some of the specifics that I admire most about Japanese brands is this meticulous attention to deatil.

Pigeon (baby products brand) was (and is) a real demonstration of this....infact the tagline which we developed ("Big on little things") spoke directly to the care of children that each product offered as a result of their constant attention to (tiny) detail in product development.
It is this discipline and attention to detail which I love. I believe Japanese innovation comes from this dedication to paying attention to the small things. That, and their incredible group-based work ethos where everyone strives to better their best.